I am, in fact, one of those “#blessed” writers. As part of my commitment both to myself and as a Christian, I do my best to take time to be in awe of God’s mercy and grace, and find joy in my every day existence.
This is as good a time as any, though, to really bask in the glory of gratitude. I am so blessed, so privileged to have the love of an amazing family, a mighty good man, and some fantastic friends. I live in a (beautiful place, and have a job I love and work with people I love. I (try to) live, every day, in awe of how lucky I am.
Today, I also feel grateful for the hard things. For being at a place in my life where I am trying to dig through the muck and mire of understanding privilege and trying to dismantle it. For understanding how race relations plays out, affects me and my loved ones, and the students I serve. For trying to wrap my hands and mind around all the broken parts of our country and help in any way I can. Being able to devote time and energy to these issues (instead of, perhaps, where my next meal is coming from) is privilege that I hope to use to make things better for the next generation.
So, for the work, for the hard things, and for Christ’s love to give me the strength to keep working, for His (and others) forgiveness when I fail or falter, for all the amazing things I have— for all these, I am grateful.
Oh hello world. I’m taking a brief break to give a brief update in my world, as it’s been many-moons since I actually wrote anything:
1) Hawai’i Nei: I’ve committed at least another year in Hawai’i (though likely much, much longer) as I just got a new apt!
Since my parents got their own place on Hawai’i Island, I’m moving to a slightly smaller/cheaper joint that also has a full kitchen! Huzzah!
No but really, I love living here. I feel like I fit in a lot more and like this is where I need to be.
3) Adventure! I started doing things other than running, like MMA training and Spartan racing! Have I been injured in many ways? Sure! But is it the most awesome? YUP!
4) These guys/gals, ya know? My guy is pretty great. Between him, my family, my friends, and my God, I am so continually blessed and supported.
5) She works hard for her money. Side jobs I have started doing in addition to TFA include: Kaplan tutoring (briefly PSAT teaching, but backed off as I haven’t had time to train), and figure modeling. Hoping to start putting myself out there as a regular tutor soon as well too!
6) On the Horizon: Family coming out to Hawai’i to visit in just a few weeks! Going to NorCal for Trini’s wedding with a number of other HS buddies! Then spending a week in Nov with the boy as he attends a wedding in SoCal (and taking him to eat some bomb Mexican food)! Then Thanksgiving with Fam! Woo!
That moment where you finally step out into the world, feel the solid ground beneath your feet, see how blue the sky is, feel your heart swell with a soundbyte and just think:
Oh! THIS is what has been missing! This is what this felt like! Thanks for reminding me!
Pure, unfettered joy indeed.